|Here you see ALL my pants. Including shorts.|
(almost every single time). Our closets have become one of our biggest sources of stress. No matter how much we buy, or how many times we organize, or how many visits we pay to the stores and buy bins and boxes to organize our closets, we manage to get overwhelmed by it in no time. Closet organizing , have become one of those giant tasks that we tend to procrastinate and postpone. Sometimes, they even manage to become as big of a headache as doing taxes ! But the difference is, we can postpone doing the taxes and not look at it at all. But with our closets, we see it Every Single Day. It stresses us out every day and is one of those chores that will bother us every single time we decide to choose something to wear. Oh, and at the end, almost all of us, have nothing to wear. Don't we?
To declutter your closet, the rules Here will help you tremendously. But if you don't have much time to dedicate and are feeling overwhelmed by the clutter, keep reading.
Here are some simple tips to get rid of your closet clutter very fast and very easy.
1. Imagine you are going out of town and need to pack for the next three weeks. Start the job with this mind set and get to work.
2. Bring some big boxes or suitcases.
3. Categorize! Categorize! Categorize! I can not emphasize enough in the importance of categorization in doing ANY task. A big task, could easily become manageable and doable with categorization. In the case of your closet, I suggest you, to focus on only one category each time you get the chance to spend even only few minutes. For example, focus on pants and only pants first. Nothing else. Gather all your pants from everywhere and place them all on your bed. Now, fast, separate the work pants, jeans, shorts... . At the end, work on jeans only. Then get to the work pants and finally to the shorts and so on and so fort.
4. Separate the clothes you would need for your next three weeks. For that, use the following rules. Do you love them? Do they fit? Do they match the rest of your wardrobe? Are they comfortable to wear? Are they warm enough or cool enough for the season?
5. Do that for each category. Jeans, Shirts, Sweaters, Blouses... Place your next three weeks choices on the bed and the rest in a big bag, box or suitcase. Once your closet is empty and everything is separated and categorized,
6. Start hanging and placing the next three weeks clothes you chose, back in to your closet nicely and organized, based on their categories.
7. Remove the storage boxes or suitcases out of site. You can always get to those later, one at a time.
8. Ideally, place the extra clothes in the boxes based on categories as well. This way, for example, you can get to the pant first and decide what you want to keep and what you want to let go without opening any more boxes. This, by itself, is breaking down your future decluttering task.
9. Congratulations!!! You took the first and the biggest step to building a minimalistic closet.
10. Focus on keeping your closet clutter free by using these very important rules.
Hope this helps.
Tagged as: Green living. De-cluttering. Clutter busting. Minimalism. Eco friendly. Minimalistic closet. Minimalist. Organized closet. Organize.